Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 Happiness and Heartache

There lots of things that come to peoples minds when you say "Nine Eleven".  As a nation we all morn the loss of so many Americans that died that awful day 9/11/2001.  I couldn't even watch the news today.  I knew it would just break my heart. 

I went to ground zero on 9/11/09 when visiting New York.  Of course then it was only the 8th anniversary.  The city was still working on cleaning the sight.  Of course everything was fenced off, but there were memorials all over the place.  One photo I took makes me sad whenever I think about it.  I am not sure why it effected me more than all the bouquets of flowers, it just did.  I guess because in my mind, this poor boy (I assume boy by the hand-writing) was suppose to go out with his Uncle Phil.  I am sure, like all of us, things got in the way and kept them busy and kept them from getting together to have that beer.

Everyone asks "Do you remember where you were?"  Yes, I remember where I was.  I was at school (my job) trying to find out what was going on while not alarming school age children.  My husband and two boys were on their way white water rafting.  They went without me because "I couldn't possibly miss work that early in the school year!"  It was my second anniversary with my dear husband and he and my boys had a great time together.  We still have a video tape of them since I "couldn't" go.  Needless to say, now if I have a personal day,  and it is important, I take the day off.

As I said, "nine eleven" is also a time of happiness for me, personally.  Nine eleven, 1999 was the day I married a wonderful man.  We have been married for 12 years and have been together for 17.  It is hard to believe sometimes.  It seems like it can't possibly be that long.  We didn't get to be together today due to him being out of town for his job.  Oh well, at least we got to talk on the phone and he is coming home early tomorrow.

I hate to say it, I was so busy today, I didn't have time to even miss my husband.  The school years stamp club has started.  Today was our first meeting.  We had a great time.  Two Halloween cards and a birthday card.  Everything had Old Olive in it.  I will be sharing photos of the cards later. 

I do have a small share.  I made small purses.  Each one had a slip of paper with a month written on it.  Grab a random purse-and you are the hostess for that month.  Here are a few of them.  I actually remembered to take a photo before they were all chosen.  They are all made with Frightful Sight DSP, Basic Black cardstock, Old Olive cardstock, the Designer Label punch, black 1/4" grosgrain ribbon, and antique brads.

Don't forget to tell people you love them tonight.

Until next time,

No comments: